Free TV Tickets For Good Morning America GMA
Good Morning America GMA Summary
- Show Status: Active
- Good Morning America GMA is 2 hrs long
- 5 Taping(s) per week
- Opened January 1, 1975
- Show Closes: Open ended
- Morning News Show
- TV Broadcast
Good Morning America (GMA) is a two hour morning show that is a combination of news, interviews, weather, human interest and pop culture segments.
Good Morning America GMA Ticket Information
Get FREE Tickets to Good Morning America:
For the regular weekday GMA show, they provide tickets to get into the studio to see the show broadcast live as well as bring people into the "standing area" of the studio who have been standing outside early or have a great story to tell on camera.
Tickets For Special Musical Guest Shows:
For special shows with a musical guest, they set up a stage in the studio and give out tickets in advance. Musical guests have included Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, Carly Rae Jepson and Kelly Clarkson. You can get a maximum amount of 2 tickets per person in-advance to get into the show.
Tickets For The Summer Concert Series:
For the headliner musical acts on the Summer Concert Series, GMA puts up a stage at the at Rumsey Playfield in Central Park and they provide tickets in advance to fans.
Good Morning America GMA Show Schedule
Good Morning America shoots LIVE Monday through Friday mornings from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM Eastern Time.
Good Morning America GMA Broadcast Time
Good Morning America broadcasts weekday mornings at 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM on ABC Network and on other ABC affiliates.
Good Morning America GMA Age Requirements
Good Morning America GMA Host Profile
- Robin Roberts - host (2005-present). Former ESPN sportscaster
- George Stephanopoulos - host (2009-present). Former White House Communications Director and political correspondent
- Lara Spencer - host (2011-present). Former journalist and television host of The Insider and Antiques Roadshow
- Amy Robach - news anchor (2014 -present). Former anchor of Weekend Today show on NBC
- Ginger Zee - Weather anchor (2013-present). Former weekend weather anchor.
- Michael Strahan - co-host (2016- present). Former Giants rusher and former co host of Live! with Kelly and Michael (2012-2016). Strahan left this show with Kelly Ripa under a cloud of deceit that visibly rocked Ripa and meant that she was so upset she would not take a new co-host for another two years.
Good Morning America GMA Background
ABC's Good Morning America is more of a pop culture and entertainment show than its main competition, The Today Show on NBC, which skews to lifestyle programming. GMA's laid back and popular hosts keep things rolling along as they move from one segment to another, many times a segment will be shot from where the audience is standing in Times Square.
A normal GMA show could have a segment on gossip, shopping deals, what's trending on YouTube and a celebrity guest appearance or a performance. GMA broadcasts from the heart of Times Square and anyone can attend the show.
Audience Members Get Into GMA
If you want the best place to stand, you need to get there by 6:30am, braving the elements and gathering crowds. If you look interesting or if you have an interesting story, you may be picked as one of the lucky 100 audience members who get to go inside the studio. This is a great chance to be up close and personal with your favorite GMA hosts and guests but plan on standing, as there are no seats.
For the rest of the audience standing outside, they can see the show through the floor to ceiling windows onto Times Square or on the huge LED monitors above. The hosts always take time to chat with the audience and will occasionally pick a audience member to be part of a segment or surprise makeover.
Conceived in 1975 as AM America, the show was created as competition with NBC's popular Today Show. After failing to find an audience, they turned to one of their affiliates for the answer. The Morning Exchange, out of WEWS Cleveland, was a laid back morning show that focused more on human interest, entertainment and pop culture than it did on the news.
The show was broadcast from a set made to look like a living room and not a newsroom. ABC adopted this style and format and debuted as Good Morning America GMA in November 1975.
GMA and The Today Show Wars
Over the years, Good Morning America has gone back and forth in a ratings war with its arch rival, the Today Show which airs on NBC. In subsequent years the Today Show has been rocked by scandals including multiple sex allegations against Matt Lauer and journalist integrity issues against Katie Couric (in which she covered questionable remarks made by Ruth Bader Ginsburg). The Today show's rating have subsequently dropped precipitously, which has allowed GMA to succeed in the time slot.
GMA has had a string of popular hosts beginning with its first host being David Hartman, who anchored the show from 1975-1987. During his tenure, GMA became the highest ranking morning show. Other popular GMA hosts from the past include Jane Pauly, Joan Lunden and Charles Gibson.
Good Morning America GMA Notes
Noteworthy Dates for Good Morning America:
- January 1975 - AM America launches
- November 1975 - AM America re-launched as Good Morning America with David Hartman as host
- October 1980 - Joan Lunden joins show
- August 1986 - Spencer Christian joins as weather anchor
- May 1987 - Charles Gibson joins and Gibson-Lunden team propels GMA to number one morning show
- June 1997 - Lunden leaves, replaced by Lisa McRee
- April 1998 - Gibson leaves, replaced by Kevin Newman; ratings plunge
- July 1999 - Gibson returns with co-anchor Diane Sawyer
- September 1999 - Move from Lincoln Square to Times Square studio, enabling inclusion of live studio audience 2000-2005 New graphics, on location tapings and Gibson-Sawyer team lead to higher ratings
- May 2005 - Robin Roberts promoted from news anchor to Co-host
- June 2006 - Gibson retires after 19 years as anchor
- August 2006 - Sam Champion becomes weather anchor
- December 2009 - George Stephanopoulos replaces Diane Sawyer
- April 9, 2012 - After 16 years, GMA topples the Today Show from number one rated morning show
- 2012-2013 - Roberts takes medical leave due to a rare bone marrow disease
- 2013 - Ginger Zee replaces Sam Champion
- 2014 - Amy Robach replaces Josh Elliott, Lara Spencer promoted to Co-anchor.
The list of the special correspondents currently includes many famous names including:
Dan Abrams, Richard Besser, Emeril Lagasse, Cameron Mathison, Brian Ross, David Muir, Sara Moulton, Michael Strahan, Tim Tebow, and Wolfgang Puck.
GMA no longer provides studio tours to guests, even if ticketed for a special musical guest show.
ABC Times Square Studios
New York, NY 10036
- Robin Roberts
- George Stephanopoulos
- Lara Spencer
- Amy Robach
- Ginger Zee
- Michael Strahan
Past Cast Members
- David Hartman
- Nancy Dussault
- Sandy Hill
- Joan Lunden
- Charles Gibson
- Lisa McRee
- Kevin Newman
- Diane Sawyer
Executive Producer: Michael Corn
Producer: Taylor Behrendt
Senior Producer: Sarah Ruth
Segment Producer: Emily Gertler
Senior Broadcast Producer: Denise Rehrig
Coordinating Producer: Ross Eichenholz
Distributor: ABC News Productions
- Production Manager
- Matthew Jakl
- ABC News Productions
- Jeff Winn
- Theme Music
- DreamArtists Studios
- William F. Baker
- Donald L. Perris